Sunday 17 December 2017

Twenty-five December Lane

Twenty-five December Lane
Author: Helen ward
Illustrated by: Wayne Anderson
Narrated by Imelda Stauton
ISBN: 978-1-84011-684-7

Twenty-Five December Lane

Hi Everyone

Here is a precious little Christmas book for you to read to any little person.  Actually you can put on the audio CD and listen along with them.  

I've read this book with my students and we have all enjoyed it.  Now I have just listened to the Audio CD, so I could give an honest opinion, and I am impressed!  It is so well read and the music is just perfect, I was transformed into the story.  I think I have just been shopping at 25 December Lane.

What I like the most about this book is the words.  I love good words!  I love poetry especially when the words entice me.  This book isn't a piece of poetic rhyme but it is a piece of play with words that I find genius.  Often children's books come with basic vocabulary and it can make them a little dull to read; easy but dull.  The language in Twenty-five December Lane is descriptive and tantalising to the tongue and ear. I was able to see, hear, and feel every page in the book by the vocab.  

Here is a page from the story:

The toys continued to roll and
scuttle into the enormous sack.  
They rattled and pinged
and squeaked and whistled
until the floor, and ceiling,
the long, long counter and every self
was cleared into the bulging sack
as if by magic.
The girl looked on in dismay.
"Oh please," she said,
"Not that one..."

Overall, I have enjoyed every bit of this book.... The story, illustrations, language and the CD narration.  It is a complete package of joy.

Description:

It was the strangest shop she had ever seen, and she couldn't recall having seen it before.  As she pushed open the narrow door, a bell on a spring rang. A little breath of Christmas slipped past her, and into December Lane and up to the dark grey clouds...

This was available from: Book depositoryAmazon, and Fishpond


Happy reading


No comments:

Post a Comment