Sunday 3 December 2017

Bridge to a distant star

Bridge to a Distant Star
Author: Carolyn Williford
ISBN: 978-1-4347-6703-5


Hi Everyone

I have had this book sitting on my bookcase for far too long.  I kept looking at it thinking, 'I must read that sometime'. But, I always managed to be given another book and I have no self control when I am given a book... I just have to open that book and take a peek, then you know what happens, the book is finished.  

This time I walked past my book case and the book practically yelled at me "Hay, about time you picked me up.  So, feeling sorry for all the neglect I had shown this little gem, I picked it up and settled down for a good read.  And, a good read it was!  

It is based on the tragic collapse of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on May 9, 1980, but the characters, time and incidents are purely fictional.  The first and last chapters are about the bridge, but the rest of the book revolves around several characters/families.  I found the way the characters stories were presented an interesting concept of writing.  Normally when I have read a book like this the chapters have jumped from one setting to another and back again.  This book was different as it told one characters/families story and left them heading for the bridge, then told the next complete story and left them heading for the bridge, and so on.  I almost found myself feeling like I was reading different books, or short stories, but they all connected in the final chapters.  It was very cleverly thought out, and I enjoyed the journey.  

I'm please I finally picked this book off my shelf.  It didn't deserve to spend so long ignored, poor little thing.  But now I have found a place in my heart for this book and will hand it on to others to enjoy also.


Description:

As a storm rages in the night, unwary drivers venture into Tampa Bay's most renowned bridge.  No one sees the danger ahead.  No one notices the jagged gap hidden by the darkness and rain.  When the bridge collapses, vehicles careen into the churning waters below.

In that one catastrophic moment, three powerful stories converge: a family ravaged by their child's heartbreaking news, a marriage threatened by its own facade, and a college student burdened by self-doubt.  As each story unfolds, the characters move steadily closer to that fateful moment on the bridge.  Searching for grace they face the storms of their lives that loom as large as the one waiting above the bay.

When these characters come together in Carolyn Williford's gripping story, they collide with the transforming call of Christ: deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me.

This was available from: Book depository and Amazon


Happy reading

No comments:

Post a Comment