Thursday 31 August 2017

The land I lost

The Land I lost
Author: Huynh Quang Nhuong
ISBN: 978-0-060440183-8

The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam
Hi Everyone

This isn't a long book, only 127 pages, and it is a captivating easy read.  The back claims to be recommended for 7 to 10 year olds but even I, as grown up, enjoyed this book.

It is Huynh Quang Hnuongs story of his childhood and many of the adventures he encountered.  Most of these adventures involved animals, this is where connections were made of the young ones I read this too.  We stopped reading a few times to look up some of the snakes and have a chat about what he was talking about.  I found myself captivated by his world and the difference in the one I have experienced. 

I thought it gave a good picture of the highlands of Vietnam, one of which I wouldn't have the same appreciation for without having read this book.  Isn't that what makes an excellent book for our young readers?  I love to see children reading and questioning what they are reading, looking more into what the writer is talking about.  That is exactly what Huyng Quang Nhuong has achieved in this little gem of literature.


Description:

Huynh Quang Nhuong grew up in the highlands of Vietnam, next to the jungle teeming with wildlife. Encounters with tigers, wild hogs, and deadly snakes were as much a part of his life as tending the rice fields while on the back of his pet water buffalo, Tank.

Perfect for classrooms, as well as fans of Linda Sue Park and Thanhha Lai, these fifteen tales will transport readers into a world of lush beauty and terrible danger—and a way of life that is gone forever.



This was available from: Amazon, Fishpond and  Book depository


Happy reading


No comments:

Post a Comment