Saturday 20 May 2017

The outsiders

The Outsiders
Author: S. E. Hinton
ISBN: 9780140385724


The Outsiders

Hi Everyone,

It's the weekend!  What are you doing with your weekend?  Do you have a good book that I should be adding to my lists?

I spent the start of my weekend at a course, and I was thrown into a half hour class with a Hungarian speaking teacher who progressed to teach us Hungarian.  I didn't see it coming!  He started the class in Hungarian and spoke every word as such.  I was in the 'deep end' and so frustrated, intrigued and excited all the same time.  It was only half an hour, but I left with a head ache and appreciation for someone who doesn't completely know English when I jabber away to them.  By the time I got home I know a few Hungarian phases which I spoke all the way home, with an excitement that I couldn't wait to share.

I live in a multi cultural country which brings many different cultural dynamics.  The Outsiders demonstrates social-economic and cultural differences from a teens point of view.  I watched the movie from this book many years ago and loved it.  In fact, funny as it may seem, the Outsiders movie is what gave me a love for poetry as Pony Boy quoted Robert Frosts Nothing Gold Can Stay
The teens in this book are just living, doing their best, innocent.  But life takes them down paths that they don't really ask for.  I feel for them every step of the way.  I would love to have reached out and plucked them from the book, especially Pony Boy and Johnny, and given them a home and family.  But then again they had a home and family.  Not a picture book family, maybe not a totally functional family.  But what is family when your parents are gone?

The Outsiders touched a part of my years ago through my TV screen.  Now I've read the book and it touched me again through written word.  I think I would class this as a must read.  It really is worthy of ready.


Description:

What defines a family? That is the underlying question in the life of Pony Boy Curtis. When his parents die in a car wreck, he comes to depend on the love, friendship and support of his two older brothers and a gang of friends defined by poverty, bad attitudes and long greasy hair. The gang, called greasers, carry on a long-standing war with a group of rich kids, known as Socs, a fight fueled by ignorance and prejudice.

An American coming-of-age classic, a story of friendship and social prejudice among a gang of friends.  




  • This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.  —  Amazon


  • This was available from: Fishpond, Amazon, and Book depository


    Happy reading






    No comments:

    Post a Comment