Friday 12 February 2016

To teach a dyslexic

To Teach a Dyslexic
Author: Don McCabe
ISBN: 9781564000040

 
Hi Everyone
 
I bring to you today the story of Don McCabe.  I have only just discovered this boo, and had to have a copy.  I almost ate this book for breakfast, lunch and tea (metaphorically speaking).  It is such a good read; I recommend it to all who have struggling readers.  Beyond those of you that have struggling readers, I think you should just pick it up and be inspired.
 
This man was once a boy who struggled to spell 'shirt'. Instead, he wrote 'shit' and almost got laughed out of the room.  He went on to teach.  That was not enough, he fought an education system, in an effort to move them away from whole language teaching.  He went on to spend years studying the complete patterns of the English language and wrote his own program.
 
It always amazes me when I read about people who have defied the odds, battled setbacks and go on to achieve incredible things.  I read another book about a young man with dyslexia who defied the odds and became a millionaire only to write his on book about it.  Dyslexia does not need to be disability, yet I hear so many parents talking like it is.  It is a hurdle, I agree, but not one that can't be jumped if given the right mentors and coaching. 
 
Happy reading

Richelle

 
 
This was available from: AVKO.org, Book depository and Amazon
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment