Friday 4 December 2015

Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia
Author: Katherine Paterson
ISBN: 0-140-36618-0
Pages: 141

 
I have always enjoyed the movie that is based on this book.  It screened here a couple of months ago and upon raving about it, my sister handed me the book to read.  It is such a cute little paperback novel.  I thought I would have it read in no time, so decided to read it aloud to the kids.  Well, don't be deceived by size.  This book took quite a bit of reading.  I put this down to it being a classic.  All classics seem to have depth in the language which make reading aloud different from modern novels. 

Did it match up to the movie?  No.  I still like the movie more.  This is the first time I have liked a movie over a book.  I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.  That being said though, it is a lovely story of friendship.  The movie was based more on the happenings in Terabithia.  The book was based more on friendship.  It was Terabithia that grabbed my imagination in the movie and I thought the book lacked this. 

If you want a book on friendship for your kids, this is worth the read.  It does come with loss though, so this may be something you want to consider before choosing who to read aloud to.  My kids enjoyed it.  They thought the book had its merits but still enjoyed the movie more.  I think this book is best read to and by those who haven't seen the movie.  It is a good, traditional classic that hasn't lost its spark or interest in today's modern world.
 
 
Blurb:
 
'We need a place,' Leslie called to him, '...just for us.'
 
It was Leslie who invented Terabithia, a secret kingdom on an island across the creek.  Here Jess is strong and unafraid.  so when something terrible happens, Jess finds he is able to cope better than he could ever have imagined.
 
A powerful, moving story about friendship.
 
 
This was available from: Amazon, Fishpond and Book depository
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment