Sunday 21 June 2015

Pomegranate Soup A Novel

Pomeranate Soup A Novel
Author: Marsha Mehran
ISBN: 9780812972481

Pomegranate Soup: A Novel
Marjan and her sisters fled Iran and started up a new life in a sleepy Irish town beneath the holy mountain Croagh Patrick.  They open up the Babylon Cafe and the traditional Persian cooking works magic within the town.  The  publican has other ideas for the cafe and makes life difficult not only for the three sisters but the whole town. 
 
As the Marjan and her sisters make a new life the past begins to haunt them.  Secrets from the past begin to unravel.  The writing of this novel is beautiful.  It twists cooking and the beauty of character into its pages.  It was a easy book to read on the long winter days that we are experiencing here.  Marsh Nehran wrote the stories of these women, with a simplicity connected with a little suspense that made me keep reading.  After the text books I have constantly had my head in studying for exams, this book was a delight to read.
I felt like I walked into the Babylon Cafe and joined the lives of the characters.  I had some that just made me angry and some that made me smile and a few that I would have yelled at, as they lived with their heads in the sand judging the girls for only the colour of their skin.  As the book came together the lives intertwined and cultures came together to form a town.
 
I liked the recipes that each new chapter contained.  I have yet to make any but there are a few that I would like to try out.   Shame there is not a Babylon Cafe where I live. 
 
This was available from: Book depository and Fishpond
 
 
http://www.bookdepository.com/Pomegranate-Soup-Marsha-Mehran/9780812972481

No comments:

Post a Comment