Sunday 16 July 2017

Listening for lions

Listening For Lions
Author: Gloria Whelan
ISBN: 978-0-06-058176-3



Hi Everyone,

Here is a little treasure for you.  I have this on my bookcase because for a few years my children followed the Sonlight Curriculum programme.  I was sitting there looking at all the books I have yet to touch and thought it was about time I read some of the books I had handed to my children to read.

I went to bookcase and looked amongst the multitude of options and picked out Listening for Lions.  I am pleased I was drawn to this book.  I was taken from Africa to England and back again.  I walked with a little girl who lost her parents and became a part of a new family so quickly that she had no choice in the matter.  She was placed on a boat to England to live with her grandfather, who wasn't her grandfather but rather Valerie's - The girl who's life she forced replace. 

Sound confusing?  It isn't when your reading it.  But for Rachel it was.  She was screaming to let out the truth but....

She spends the rest of her life unravelling the lies that she had been entangled in, and reforming the truths, until the day that she makes it back to the lions and their sense of safety.

This is a little novel, only 194 pages long.  It wont take you long to read and find treasure in the pages.  I highly recommend this book especially for the middle graders.  It's in my local library so check our yours, it may be there awaiting you.


Description:

"If you are among evil people, you must be like the lion, gathering strength and awaiting your time."

Africa is the only home Rachel Sheridan has ever known. But when influenza strikes down her missionary parents, she is left vulnerable prey to her family's wicked neighbors. Surrounded by greed and lies, Rachel is entangled in a criminal scheme and sent to England, where she is forced into a life of deception. Like the lion, she must be patient and strong, awaiting the moment when she can take control of her own fate—and find her way home again at last.


This was available from: Amazon, Book depository and Fishpond


Happy reading

No comments:

Post a Comment