Thursday 20 April 2017

The seven sisters

The Seven Sisters
Author: Lucinda Riley
ISBN: 978-1-4472-1864-7



Hi Everyone,

This book is fantastic and will not be making it onto my bookcase for quite a while as I have promised it to so many friends to read.  It just cannot go back onto my shelf just yet.

I finished it last night and it is one of those books that you're so disappointed to be on the final page.  Even the final page left me almost screaming with "Oh my goodness!"  I cannot wait to receive the second book in this series The Storm Sister.  Even the name of it leaves me enticed, but I also have to know if they find who out the person on the phone is, on the last page of this book.  If I think it is who it is, then.... wow! 

Anyway, I got so into this book and the characters that when I was reading Izabela's story I forgot all about Maia.  Sorry Maia.  I had a little giggle when I got back to Maia's section when I realised that the book was meant to be about her too.  That's when you know you're reading a good novel.  Izabela was so young, magical,vibrant, naive, beautiful, innocent... then she gets married for all the upper class reasons of her time.  That is when things take a turn... I can't spoil it here.

Then there is the historical implantation.  As I read The Seven Sisters I found myself thinking of the making of such structures as the Cristo.  I was transported to a sculptors living quarters, Paris, Brazil, Rio, and an island with a castle.  Lucinda Riley portrayed social classes of the times with elegance, grace and truth as snobbery sneaked through each characters cracks.

I enjoyed this book so much I went to Google to find out more about Lucinda Riley.  I found her official website that is well worth looking at lucindariley.com/ and this clip on Youtube, which is put up by Lucinda, upon which she talks about The Seven Sisters series and her writings. 



I could talk, over a coffee, for hours on this book.  I am hooked and can't wait for the next six books.... Yes there are seven books in this series, but there is still so much that I want to know, that I will be reading all of them. 

Description:


Maia D'Apliese and her five sisters gather together at their childhood home, 'Atlantis' - a fabulous, secluded castle situated on the shores of Lake Geneva - having been told that their beloved father, the elusive billionaire they call Pa Salt, has died. Maia and her sisters were all adopted by him as babies and, discovering he has already been buried at sea, each of them is handed a tantalising clue to their true heritage - a clue which takes Maia across the world to a crumbling mansion in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. Once there, she begins to put together the pieces of where her story began ...Eighty years earlier, in the Belle Epoque of Rio, 1927, Izabela Bonifacio's father has aspirations for his daughter to marry into aristocracy. Meanwhile, architect Heitor da Silva Costa is working on a statue, to be called Christ the Redeemer, and will soon travel to Paris to find the right sculptor to complete his vision. Izabela - passionate and longing to see the world - convinces her father to allow her to accompany him and his family to Europe before she is married. There, at Paul Landowski's studio and in the heady, vibrant cafes of Montparnasse, she meets ambitious young sculptor Laurent Brouilly, and knows at once that her life will never be the same again.

Happy reading






This was available from: Paper plus, Amazon, Fishpond and Book depository

No comments:

Post a Comment