Wednesday 11 January 2017

100 Cupboards

100 Cupboards
Author: N. D. Wilson
ISBN: 978-1742743424



Hi Everyone,

I actually read 100 Cupboards before Christmas and then got sidetracked amongst the other books I was given.  It was a delay of thought, more than anything.  I wanted to digest the concepts in this new fantasy world, or was it still our world I was reading within?

Henry is another one of the protagonist characters, that grace many of the children and young adult books, who has lost their parents and gone to live with their Aunt and Uncle.  The reason I write this is that my daughter commented on it.  She is questioning why so many middle grade and young adult books take the main character out of their parents care, to be alone.  She has a point.  This is what our young readers are questioning.

Anyway, Henry goes to live with his Aunt and Uncle.  The mystery behind his parents is revealed later in the book, and does form part of the storyline.  Henry soon discovers cupboards behind the wall boards.  I found this concept interesting, as Henry picked away at the wall boards I could only envision it as an adult - horrified at the concept of my walls being damaged!  👀  Fantastic fantasy for a middle grader though.  This is the beginning of the fantasy world being unravelled.

I enjoyed every little bit of the fantasy world unravelling.  I became interested in the critters behind the wall.  I wanted to journey right into one of the cupboards to see the worlds.  This book only touched on inside the cupboards.  I am have added the second book in this series, Dandelion Fire, to by list of books for reading in 2017.  I hope to be taken inside the cupboards in more depth as I envision a new Narnia behind the doors.  I will let you know what is there when I read the Dandelion Fire.

Overall, I am enjoying the concept of this series.  I wanted more as I finished and closed the book.  I got to know the characters well, and only hope that the rest of the books will take me on journeys inside each and every cupboard.  I am greedy and want to know what is behind every cupboard door!  I want more adventure and more fantasy, hence I will continue reading through the rest of the cupboard series.  I recommend this to both young and old readers alike.  In my opinion this will be enjoyed by boys and girls, young and old, if your willing to open your imagination and envision the characters and worlds within the pages.


Description:

Twelve-year-old Henry York wakes up one night to find bits of plaster in his hair. Two knobs have broken through the wall above his bed and one of them is slowly turning . . .Henry scrapes the plaster off the wall and discovers cupboards of all different sizes and shapes. Through one he can hear the sound of falling rain. Through another he sees a glowing room with a man pacing back and forth! Henry soon understands that these are not just cupboards, but portals to other worlds.


Happy reading



This was available from: Amazon, Book depository and Fishpond




No comments:

Post a Comment