Tuesday 28 June 2016

The Hobbit

The Hobbit
J. R. R. Tolkien

We have just been reading this as a family and it will survive this generation as a continued classic.  I was read this aloud to, when I was 10 years old, at primary school.  It is the only book that I can ever remember being read.  That isn't to say I never had other books read to me, this teacher was great at reading aloud to us.  It is just... the only one I can remember.  For good reason too, it is awesome!

As I read it aloud to my children, I remembered every bit of the book and the classroom I originally sat in to hear it the first time.  I have watched the movie and the book, by far, exceeds the movie.  There was one particular part of the book that we re-read ove,r as I got the giggles.  I could vividly see in my mind the scene, and Bilbo.  Not many books leave us all in tears laughing, but this one did. 

This novel is going to stay on my booklist for reading to the next generation, and the next.  I am sure my kids will continue to hand it down also.  I have always loved the chronicles of Nania, I have difficulty in choosing my favourite between these two.  I think I still sit on the side of Nania, but only just.

So, for all you parents out there, pick up this book and read it to your children!  Don't watch the movie until you have read this to them.  It will be a gift to this generation.

Happy reading






This was available from: Fishpond, Amazon, Book depository and... everywhere beyond

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/9780007487288

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-Fantasy-Classic/dp/0345445600?ie=UTF8&keywords=the%20hobbit&qid=1465434671&ref_=sr_1_12&sr=8-12

http://www.bookdepository.com/The-Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/9780261102217?ref=grid-view

No comments:

Post a Comment