Tuesday 14 June 2016

A Thomas Jefferson Education... trial/research/enquiry

A Thomas Jefferson Education
Oliver DeMille


Teaching a generation of leaders


This book makes some really good points.  It is based around the cognitive learning theory where the student has to think to learn, not be fed facts.  Using a range of classics to teach every subject from reading to mathematics the foundations for enquiry can begin. 

I liked the idea of reading classics like 'Newton's system of the world' and 'Archimedes' to teach maths.  This is not the way I was taught in the school system which I developed through.  But, with having spent the last few years learning about teaching theories and education, this concept interests me. 

So, because I believe in cognitive theory and behaviourism, I am going to  trial some of the concepts from this book, in my classroom.  I will keep you informed week by week for the next six weeks, as to how it is going with my students.  They will be assigned the usual maths, writing, etc. but there will be adaptions and allowance for self-learning.  The self-learning will have to be approved by me as the mentor and well mentored to ensure no "Snap-chatting and gaming" is going on instead of learning.  I will be incorporating classics into the structure of each day, of which I will let you know what is being read and thoughts on the classic along with the benefits (or not) of the book.

Call in each Friday and I will give you an update on - Mentoring and educating the teens.


Description:

Is American education preparing the future leaders our nation needs or merely struggling to teach basic literacy and job skills? Without leadership education, are we settling for an inadequate system that delivers educational, industrial, governmental, and societal mediocrity?

In A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-first Century, Oliver DeMille presents an overview of and a primer for a new educational vision based on proven methods that really work! Teachers, students, parents, educators, legislators, leaders, and everyone who cares about America’s future must read this compelling book.


Happy reading







This was available from: Amazon and Excellence in Writing

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=a+thomas+jefferson+education&sprefix=a+thomas+jeffer%2Caps%2C400

http://iew.com/search/site/a%20thomas%20jefferson%20education



No comments:

Post a Comment