Thursday 2 July 2015

The Golden Acorn

The Golden Acorn
Author: Catherine Helen Cooper
ISBN: 9781906821708


The Golden Acorn
 
My son reading this now and really enjoying it.  As I was finishing it, I struggled not to spoil it for him.  I so wanted to say what was happening but he wouldn't let me! 
 
So, it's obvious that this is a good read.  Especially for boys, but my daughter is wanting to read it too.  It is about a boy, Jack Brenin who has to go live with his grandfather.  He meets up with the wrong boys and gets bullied, not a good start to a new town.  While running from the boys he hides in a hedge and ends up in a garden that leads him into a whole new world.  He finds a golden acorn and has to protect it and enters a world of  thrilling and magical adventure.  He meets the mischievous spriggens, talking ravens, and learns to fly. 
 
He is transported back in time to collect plates to save his friends.  This sets the scene for the next 4 books that follow in the series.  I read this on my Kindle and by doing this I was able to click on words like 'Londinium' and find the history of London in the Wikipedia.  The author has managed to weave a little history into the action of this adventure.  I really liked this.  As I found things out, my son and I talked about my findings.  This lead to quite a conversation when his father got home.  I think he liked knowing something the adults didn't.
 
I am going to get the rest of this series.  It's not too hard to read and had plenty of suspense to keep my boy reading... and me.
 
Looking this up... this book is free today in kindle format from Amazon:
 
 
 
 
This was available from: Fishpond, Amazon and Book depository 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment