Monday 8 December 2014

Orphan train

 


Orphan Train
Author: Christina Barker Kline
ISBN: 978-0-06-195072-8
Pages: 273

Orphan Train: A Novel
 
 
 
Truly, I cant praise this book enough!  It is one of my favourite historical novels.  It is a story of a young adolescent who is in foster care and steals a book from the library only to find herself doing community service.   She cleans out the attic of a elderly woman who was on the orphan trains in 1929.  Together the help each other find themselves amongst the emotions hidden inside them. 
 
The book bounces from the past to the present as each story is told.  I was transported into the lives of both characters.  I found myself reading with an open mouth as I was engrossed in the life of the woman.  Astonished as I read the judgements of the foster parents of the adolescent.  Both lives  were a web of misfortunes that had nothing to do with the doings of the girls.  I wanted to cry for both of them but managed to contain myself.
 
I will read this again in time.  It has the makings of a classic on my bookshelf.
 
Anyone who likes historical novels... This book is for you.
 
 
It was available from: Book depository, Fishpond and amazon
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment